Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Okay... so my dedication to doing this is going to need some work! Getting back on track. Again. I hope.

Thursday's, I think, are going to be dedicated to random thoughts... And today's is:

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you imagined." Henry David Thoreau

For the first time in awhile I feel like my mind is waking up to the possibility of imagining a life lived the way I want to live, not one filled with obligations to live a modified, perhaps reigned in, version of that life. I think that for the remainder of this year I'm going to be quite selfish with my time and means and focus a whole lot on me. Focus on mending all the shattered little shards from broken dreams that have never healed quite right before. I'm going to assume nothing is set and test every boundary and limit. I'm going to ask a whole lot more 'is this really true?' kind of questions.

So what does this life I want to live look like? No matter how grand my imagination gets, I keep coming back to one simple truth.

Home is where my heart is.

I love my house... [almost] everything about it delights me anew whenever I pause long enough to look. I love the location on a quiet tree-lined street surrounded by friendly neighbors. I love the floor plan so much that if I were to build a new house, I'd ask for this same exact floor plan. Yes, it's mid-1950s bones are that good! I love the finishes, furniture and art I'm getting slowly in its place. At home is where I want to be.

I like the cooking and cleaning and organizing and endless repairs and decorating projects. I enjoy the hunt for a good sale or freebie and giving something old new life. I need to take and share more pictures!

So one place I want to put those broken shards back together is... my habitat. Even with [nearly] no budget I think there are some things I can do and my quest this afternoon is to find one.

That thought makes me smile!

1 comment:

Brad's gaggle of girls said...

Great post Kathy! And I love your home as well... :)