Saturday, May 21, 2011

Simply Saturday


I wanted to devote Saturdays to ideas for simple living... but today, I've got blueberries on the brain! Awhile back a neighbor gave me 6 gallons of frozen blueberries. Yes, six. Six 1-gallon bags of wonderfully yummy blueberries. So guess what's been on the breakfast and dessert menu quite often?

Blueberry Banana Smoothies
Blueberry Pancakes
Blueberries over ice cream... and french toast... and waffles
Blueberry Muffins

And yes... that delightful sounding blueberry bread pudding I've been talking about for a couple of weeks now. I think I'll be making it tomorrow. (First I have to clean out the fridge to make room to refrigerate it for 8 hours prior to baking. That would be today's project...)

Sometimes I wish we could grow blueberries here in Utah but I'm told our soil doesn't have enough acid for them to be happy. And adding it doesn't really help much because the soil is self-alkalinizing.

Yum! Blueberries...

Oh, and if you want to try the smoothie, put 1 generous cup of apple juice in the blender and add a big handful of frozen blueberries, half a banana cut into chunks and a small container of vanilla yogurt. Blend smooth. Drink... and be in blueberry heaven!

No comments: