Saturday, March 3, 2012

Texas Cake

Years ago, I worked with a wonderful lady named Marcia.  No.... not said like Marsha; her name is pronounced Mar-c-ia.  She grew up in Texas and when we had office parties brought this divine chocolate sheet cake that she simply called Texas Cake.  I begged and begged for the recipe but, as often happens in corporate America anymore, the company sold our division to another company and we moved on to other jobs at other companies before that happened.  Ha!!!  Gotcha Marcia... I found a recipe that tastes just like yours via the wonders of the internet.

I've been craving this for months... so I finally made a cake today.  Sadly, I will probably devour the whole thing myself by tomorrow night.  Yikes!  But it's oh, so good!!  This has become my go-to recipe instead of brownies.  It's delicious, simple and quick to make.

Texas Cake

Combine in saucepan over medium heat until melted and completely combined:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/3 cup cocoa powder

In large mixing bowl combine the following:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Then add the butter/water/cocoa mixture from above.  Mix well. Pour into prepared 15X10X1 jelly roll pan. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes. Spread frosting over hot cake and sprinkle with chopped pecans (optional - I didn't have any today).

Frosting

Combine in medium saucepan:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup + 2 Tbl milk

Bring to boil. Remove from heat and immediately beat in 1 lb powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.


So yummy!

No comments: