Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Purpose of Life

When God is trying to get my attention, He seems to direct other people here on earth to be His angels and, as it so often requires, bombard me with the same message.  Over and over and over again.  Until I finally get it.  This morning was one of those times.  Take a look at these things that were placed in front of me just this morning::

Various posters from Facebook and Pinterest which are scattered throughout this post.

This gut-wrenching post from one of my most unlikely favorite blogs, Single Dad Laughing.  I would absolutely call it a must-read post.  So much of it echoed my own feelings and experiences with a near-death experience.

This quote from Neale Donald Walsch, "What is important in your life is what you decide is important - and this decision will indelibly create who you are."

And this one from William Wallace (given modern fame the movie Braveheart and who I'm told I have some ancestral relation to), “Every man dies. Not every man really lives.


And I started thinking about my own struggles and blessings and search for myself over the past year.  About being broke and broken and trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces and stack them differently this time.  About who I am and who I want to be in the future.  About my contribution to the world around me.  Taking the time to reflect on it didn't really change the reality that I'm broke - what do I expect after being a full year without a paycheck and all the independent business things I've tried to do for myself look like miserable failures?  At the same time, my needs have been met so I haven't missed a mortgage payment or had to go hungry yet.  Nor did simple reflection resolve the question within myself of why some of the things I want most from life are the very things that have been withheld and still sit just beyond my grasp.  And I'm still figuring out just how to stack the pieces so that this time I get a solid and level foundation that doesn't topple over.  


I'm doing the best that I can with what I've got.  And that's actually pretty darned good!  What I did realize is that despite all the things that appear to be against me right now, I am happy.  I am calm.  I am confident.

I can do this.

I will face whatever challenges and choices lay before me with the same attitude of success.

No comments: