Monday, January 16, 2012

Blueberry Cheese Breakfast Rolls

Inspired by this from Pinterest, I set out today to make some Blueberry Cheese Breakfast Rolls.

The recipe for these Sopapilla Cheesecake Rolls can be found at My Yellow Umbrella.  They sound yummy, but I was in the mood for fruit, not cinnamon, and I still have lots of the blueberries gifted by a generous neighbor last year in the freezer.  So... I improvised.  And since it was a trial run, I only made 1/3 of what the original recipe produces.  There are a few things I'll change next time, but I'm happy enough with the result to definitely say there will be a next time!

Here's what I did for 9 rolls:

I set out my ingredients -  1 generous cup defrosted blueberries, 1/2 brick softened cream cheese and 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls.  That and about 1/2 cup sugar is all I used.

Turn the oven to 350F and  arrange the rolls in a ring on an oiled baking sheet, overlapping the edges slightly.

Using a fork, mix about 1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar into the cream cheese in a small bowl until well blended.  Add the remainder to the blueberries.   Evenly distribute the cream cheese over the rolls to approximately 2/3 of the way out to the points.  Drain off as much liquid from the blueberries as you can. (I saved it in a cup and drank it... would also be delicious over french toast, ice cream or added, with a few more berries, to some oatmeal!)  Add the blueberries on top of the cream cheese.  Then fold the points into the center and press down lightly.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden.  I just brushed the tops of mine lightly with butter... they were plenty sweet without glaze, but the glaze would look very nice.

Yes... I could have drained the blueberries a little more.  Juice leaked out while they were baking.  That might not be as much an issue with fresh fruit, but this is January.  In Utah.  What fresh fruit there is available is rather expensive.  So at my house frozen is the way to go.

You could substitute raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, peaches or even apple pie filling in this recipe.  With the apple pie filling, I think I might use brown sugar in the cream cheese, though, and get just a touch of that caramel flavor.

And now for the best part of this experiment... serving it up and having a taste!




I've linked this post to the Homestead Barn Hop #45.



1 comment:

Melonie said...

Mmmm, these look scrumptious!