Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Yes, I'm feeding my man's sweet tooth again...

Awhile back I found a really involved recipe for a chocolate molten cake.  After the idea marinated in the back of my mind for a week or two I decided to make it for dessert.  Then found we didn't have the ingredients on hand.  Some really expensive ingredients like Grand Marnier, which, honestly is something I don't have any great interest on keeping on hand or supplying to the other members of my household.  That's how the search for a simpler recipe came about.  And I found one.  Actually I found the same recipe in about a dozen different locations looking at pins on Pinterest and so, not knowing where it really originated to give credit, I'm going to just add another place to find it.

Many people who've posted this recipe on cooking sites or blogs have called it Chocolate Cobbler.  Cobbler, to me, is a fruity dessert and this is definitely not fruity so I'm calling it Chocolate Pudding Cake to describe its rich deep chocolate pudding under a crusty chocolate cake layer.

Without further introduction...


Chocolate Pudding Cake

Wish we had some ice cream...
Combine until well blended in medium bowl:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbl cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar

Melt 1/3 cup butter and add to dry ingredients with 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla.  Mix until all liquid is absorbed and a thick batter/dough forms.  Press into a buttered 8-inch square (or equivalent sized) pan.

Combine until evenly mixed in a small bowl:
4 Tbl cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

Sprinkle evenly over chocolate batter/dough.  Carefully pour 1 1/2 cups hot water over the top and bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until cake is set in the center.  Let cool slightly before serving.  Delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some fresh whipped cream.

Chocolate Pudding Cake right from the oven.
It needs to cool for 20 min or so before serving.


Special Note:  I did find one recipe that is identical to this EXCEPT they did not add cocoa powder to the cake batter/dough which gave a golden cake over the rich dark chocolate pudding.  It was beautiful!  I think adding some pecan pieces to this would make it over the top yummy.

No comments: