Sunday, October 18, 2009

Clutter dumper

I have a friend who has lived in her current home for 16 years now. In that entire 16 years, she has never (not even once) been able to park in her garage or use her patio. They were stuffed to the rafters with clutter. It didn't matter what it was or whether she needed it, if you were giving it away or she found it in a thrift store and it looked it might have some use to someone somewhere that she might come across she took it.

Suddenly she's unloading...

And unfortunately, some it is finding it's way to my house. Some because she thought I would like it and use it and some because if I "didn't want it, surely someone at Church would." In all fairness, some it is pretty good stuff... like the bug zapper and brand new flagpole she brought me today. Those I will actually use.

But there's a lot more that I simply don't want. Don't want the stuff, don't want the responsibility to find someone else who does. I'm having some discouraging thoughts about being "the conduit" as this friend puts it in finding some of her cast offs a new home.

I've been working hard on decluttering my own house and have only recently been seeing some very positive results. And I don't want the garage and the storage room to get all junked up again! But at the same time, I don't want to hurt her feelings and they would be if I told her to not bring her "junk" over here. It's kind of a delicate spot to be in and I don't know quite what to do.

1 comment:

Brad's gaggle of girls said...

You could take the stuff, then drive it to DI. Let me know if you need help...Be strong. :)