Wednesday, April 30, 2008

You Could Beat Him With a Stick...

There's a guy at work who has the most positive outlook on life that I have ever experienced. No matter what happens, he can find a list of reasons that it's just great. Not just good, but great. Pile on the work, make him cover for a slacking co-worker, have computer problems all day... everyone else is tense and snappy but Steve is still happy and will tell you how great it is to work there. I truly think you could beat him with a stick until he was bloody and he'd still tell you everything was great!

And his attitude is infectious. I know I walk away smiling every time I talk to him. We all want to hang out with Steve because he is so uplifting. Or maybe we are just hoping even a wee smidgeon of his positivity will rub off on us... I don't know how he does it. Where does his overwhelmingly upbeat outlook come from?

It's not like Steve's life is perfect. He has stresses and trials just like the rest of us. He's got a challenging full-time job, a full classload working on his Masters, an ugly divorce in his past, a cute new girl friend and who knows what else going on. For me all that would be like the recipe for a stroke. I regularly get overwhelmed and grouchy over the details of my relatively simple life.

I'd sure like to figure out his secret...

No comments: