Sunday, September 22, 2013

What a Wonderful World


Thanks to Through a Country Momma's Eyes Facebook
page for the image.  Wish I could tell you the location...

I see trees of green... red roses, too.
I see 'em bloom for me and for you.
And I think to myself... what a wonderful world!

I see skies of blue... clouds of white,
Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights.
And I think to myself... what a wonderful world!

The colors of a rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by.
I see friends shaking hands, saying "how do you do?"
What they're really saying is "I Love You!"

I see babies cry; I watch them grow.
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know.
And I think to myself... what a wonderful world!

Yes, I think to myself... what a wonderful world!

George David Weiss, George Douglas and Bob Thiele
(and most famously performed by Louis Armstrong)


I can't help but be reminded of a little story I read not too long back about 2 men who were sharing a hospital room.  The fellow nearest the window would tell the other man, who was much more gravely ill, about the beautiful sights outside to try to lift his spirits some.  And it worked.  He recovered from his sickness... but the man by the window did not.  The day came when he passed away and it was discovered that the window not only looked out at a blank wall but he was completely blind.  All of the beauty he'd been describing - the fluffy white clouds, bright blue sky, flower gardens, butterflies, and happy smiling people - came completely from his imagination and the beauty of his own soul reaching out to touch someone else.

I'm also reminded to count my blessings this sweet Sabbath day.  Among them today I cherish...

A man who loves me and tells me so often
Puppies who love me, too (even when I get grouchy)
That Derek works hard to take care of us and has plans and goals for the future
That I can take Tylenol in between Advil doses for my painful knees
The shade of blue gracing today's sky
Last night's brilliant sunset viewed through our trees
How clean and fresh yesterday's rain has left everything
Friends to love and be loved by
A lovely little home on a quiet tree-lined lane
The beautiful woods behind my house
How the squirrels and bunnies and turtles and song birds living there delight me
The subtle hints of fall in the air and cooler weather activities
How well the steam cleaner gets dog messes out of the carpet
The capability to work and think and speak and see
Freedom to live and worship as we see fit
That we can (and do) fly an American flag on the front of our house

I've been richly blessed, indeed!

No comments: