Sunday, November 29, 2009

Remembering the Thanksgiving just past

Over the past 10 days, we've celebrated Thanksgiving twice at my house. Yes... that means that I've cooked two twenty pound turkeys. Two of them. And got stuck with all the leftovers. Whatever happened to guests taking something home for turkey sandwiches later? My freezer is so totally stuffed that I'm afraid to open the door!

Alas, it wasn't all bad. We had two separate occasions to formally ponder all the things for which we are thankful. And there is so much! I asked each of my guests this year to help me start a new Thanksgiving tradition. New to my family, anyway. After the food was blessed, and before we started passing the food around, each person took a turn to name something they were thankful for. The thoughts were interesting and touching and sometimes even funny. It ran the gammit from a free country, a warm safe home, a lifetime of good memories, boys (cut her a break, she's just about to turn 13. And right now, boys are her world!).

I found myself thankful for each of the people seated at my dining room table... whether we were connected by blood or by love, they were all people who are important to me. They enrich my life and expand my heart and for each of them I am truly grateful!

No comments: