Saturday, January 3, 2015

Personal Scripture Study Theme

The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully
and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him
[inquire of and for Him and require Him by right of necessity
and on the authority of God’s word].
Lamentations 3:25 AMP

Notice, if you haven't long before now, that there is
no doorknob... We need to be expectantly waiting for
His knock and trust Him enough to open the door
and let Him into our lives.

Those of you who know me and much about the religious tradition I follow (I am LDS) might raise an eyebrow that I chose a scripture from the Amplified Version of the Bible as my personal study theme for 2015. My Church uses KJV exclusively. But It's a verse that I think is so much better expressed here and I take truth where I find it... the King James Version puts it like this: "The LORD is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh Him." Good words, but just not as meaty. And I felt the need for a theme I could really sink my teeth into.

Immediately my mind started picking out phrases to analyze and understand.
The Lord is good to those who wait...
...wait hopefully and expectantly for Him
seek Him
inquire of AND for Him (emphasis mine)
require Him by right of necessity
... on the authority of God's word.
The first thing that struck me when I broke it down that way is that the verse is a covenant.  It's one of those two-way promises where we are asked to do something and as we comply, the Lord is bound to give us a specific blessing in return.  His part:  "The Lord is good to those who wait."  Our part:  wait hopefully and expectantly, seek Him, inquire of Him, inquire for Him, require Him.  Bound by: "the authority of God's word."

That's HUGE!  I am in such NEED of blessings in my life... big blessings.  For the Lord to be good to me is something that I'm willing to work pretty darn hard for my part in bringing that about!  So I am on a quest to truly understand my part of this covenant and then do it!!


No comments: