Saturday, January 18, 2020

HLC Restaurantware

If you read about  The Gawd Awful yesterday, you might have noticed the cute little platter I served myself on.  I have 2 of them and they found their way into my kitchen as new-to-me pieces just a couple of days ago.  I picked them up at an independent thrift store... 2 tiny platters for $1.  I probably would have paid more since I'd already seen the marking on the back for the Homer Laughlin China Company but the dollar made me feel like I'd made a real thrifting score!

No photo description available.No photo description available.

This purchase both thrilled and intrigued me.  I wasn't quite sure yet what I'd picked up, but with that mark, I was pretty sure I couldn't go too far wrong.  And besides, I need a few plates.  And these are tiny and cute...  And they called my name, saying "I must go home with you!"
No photo description available.
Just to give you a sense of the size, I picked up a McDonald's straw that was handy (don't judge; I was in the car and it hasn't been cleaned out... in a while) and laid it lengthwise.  The straw is just slightly longer than the platter!  They truly are tiny!!

I knew the brand because I'm a small-time collector of Fiesta with dreams of having enough to set a table for 8 with all the serving pieces, too.  But like I said at the beginning, I didn't really know what I'd just picked up so I asked about them in an HLC enthusiast group on Facebook.  That's where a more veteran collector confirmed that it's Restaurantware, sometimes called Hospitalityware since it is sold broadly to both hotels and restaurants all around the United States.  It's known for its durability.  But I did have to chuckle when someone commented that they were "sturdy" and meant for daily use.

Well, I do believe in using the nice things I collect.  And in-between times when it's being used on the table, I will proudly display it with my Fiesta (which I also use!) even if it is kind of like the red-headed stepchild whose Momma came from the wrong side of the tracks!

No comments: